In order to formally leave the church you need to complete a “Declaration of Defection” form. We have automated this process so that, in 3 steps and with only simple details, we can produce all the required documentation. We also generate an accompanying cover letter that you are free to alter as you see fit. Alternatively, you can download a blank PDF or HTML copy of the form and fill it in yourself.
The defection process is as follows:

  1. Click the button on the right and complete the 3 step process. Only basic information is required;
  2. Download & print the documents and fill in the remaining personal details;
  3. If you have access to your birth or baptismal certificates you may want to include a photocopy, along with a copy of your photo ID;
  4. Post or fax the completed documents to the diocese address or fax number that we provide (or find your diocese details here);
  5. You may receive a response requesting a meeting to discuss the defection. This is standard practice in many dioceses, and you are free to accept or decline the offer. However, you must respond in some fashion, otherwise the defection will not be completed.
  6. It will be noted in the baptismal register of your parish of birth that you have “Defected”. Following this, you may receive confirmation that your request has been processed (why not send us a copy? All of your personal details will be blanked out);
  7. You have now formally defected from the church.

Why would someone want to perform this act? Read some of the most common reasons we’ve received or find out the implications of performing a defection and the answers to the most common queries in our Frequently Asked Questions.


  1. Avatar
    Vernalee April 22, 2017

    If I defect from the Catholic Church, will by family or local church be notified?

    • Avatar
      Helen O'Shea April 22, 2017

      This is a symbolic defection register. Your name will be in the directory on this site but we do not notify your church or family. If you want to register a defacto defection (the catholic church no longer allow defections) you can contact the bishop representing your parish of baptism and they can register your defacto defection.


Leave reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.